Re: Printing and background colors/images

On 23/02/11 01:40, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> This is already (theoretically) possible with Media Queries

I should spend more time reading :)

>> When considering the possibility of 'printing' to a PDF, you might also want
>> to do different things with links and generated content depending on whether
>> the output will be some sort of link capable document format or static
>> paper.
>
> There's a limit to how far we can go down that route, as CSS doesn't
> actually have control over things like link behavior.

I'm not talking about control over link behaviour: one of the more
commonly cited use cases for generated content is to include the full
URLs of any link in the printed output, there's no need to do that if
the link will still be a link.

>  In any case,
> this isn't related to the question at hand - it's a generic
> improvement request for Media Queries, while we're trying to answer a
> question of how to enable printing of backgrounds.

I was responding the specific proposal of enabling printing of
backgrounds through hijacking media queries as a proxy for an
'i-actually-considered-non-screen-media' property.  If we're going to
allow authors to indicate that they've considered non-screen media then
shouldn't some consideration of what else they might want to do besides
backgrounds be in order?

Rob