Re: [css3-regions] writing mode and directionality for flows

Hi Davd,

On 8/11/11 9:25 AM, "David Hyatt" <hyatt@apple.com> wrote:

>What are the initial writing mode and directionality of flows? Can
>individual regions specify different writing-modes and directionality,
>thus causing how you paginate to vary from region to region in the same
>flow? I'm really hoping the answer is "No", and that - as with printing
>and multi-column elements - there is a single master writing mode and
>directionality that determines all of the pagination.

Yes, that is what it would be. In the new draft that is in the works, the
model is sticking to be very close (as much as possible and makes sense)
to pagination and multi-column.

>My suggestion would be to use the writing-mode and directionality of the
>first region to establish the pagination direction and to just ignore the
>writing-mode/directionality set on subsequent regions. Another idea would
>be to simply use the ICB's writing-mode and direction.

This is missing from the spec. currently, I'll add an action item to add
something about the writing-mode direction.

Cheers,
Vincent