Re: [css3-regions] writing mode and directionality for flows

On Aug 11, 2011, at 11:31 AM, Vincent Hardy wrote:

> Hi Davd,
>
> On 8/11/11 9:25 AM, "David Hyatt" <hyatt@apple.com> wrote:
>
>> What are the initial writing mode and directionality of flows? Can
>> individual regions specify different writing-modes and directionality,
>> thus causing how you paginate to vary from region to region in the same
>> flow? I'm really hoping the answer is "No", and that - as with printing
>> and multi-column elements - there is a single master writing mode and
>> directionality that determines all of the pagination.
>
> Yes, that is what it would be. In the new draft that is in the works, the
> model is sticking to be very close (as much as possible and makes sense)
> to pagination and multi-column.
>

>> My suggestion would be to use the writing-mode and directionality of the
>> first region to establish the pagination direction and to just ignore the
>> writing-mode/directionality set on subsequent regions. Another idea would
>> be to simply use the ICB's writing-mode and direction.
>
> This is missing from the spec. currently, I'll add an action item to add
> something about the writing-mode direction.

A third idea would be to support styling a pseudo-element for the named flow.

::flow(myflow) { writing-mode: vertical-rl; }

Probably a bit silly to create a pseudo-element just to style the writing-mode / direction though. I kind of like the "use the first region" heuristic, but I'm curious what others think.

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)