Re: [CSS 2.1] [Section 9.5.1] Vertical positioning of floating boxes

Le Mar 14 septembre 2010 0:51, Morten Stenshorne a écrit :
> "GĂ©rard Talbot" <www-style@gtalbot.org> writes:
>
>> Well, I see a significant difference with Opera 10.62 under Windows XP
>> (build 3500). I have appended a screenshot at the bottom of the page
>>
>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/section9.5.1-vertical-positioning-float.html
>
> Oh dear, that sure looks strange. Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the
> problem here, albeit I'm running build 3500 under wine. I have also
> confirmed that build 3500 for Windows and build 6438 for Linux are
> identical, codebase-wise.

One thing here. If codebase-wise these are identical, then those build
numbers (3500 for Windows and 6438 for Linux) are not ...

> Wait! Are you using a clean profile? I suspect that you're in quirks
> mode.

I typed in the address bar

javascript:alert("document.compatMode = " + document.compatMode)

and I was in quirks mode!

I never wanted to override rendering mode, furthermore never ever in
quirks mode.

> Have you changed the value of the "CompatMode Override"
> preference in the "User Prefs" section?

opera:config#UserPrefs|CompatModeOverride

It was set to 1 (btw, those values are absolutely meaningless,
unintuitive, non-informative by themselves and clicking the circled "?"
gives "No information on this item can be found"!); after clicking
[Default] button, the "CompatMode Override" value changed to 0 but I saw
no change when loading section9.5.1-vertical-positioning-float.html
testcase. I think I need to close and restart application.

I just restarted and it is back to 1!

Argh! I needed to scroll all the way down the long list of settings and
click the "Save settings" button! Geezzz...

Now, the 3 aforementioned testcases [1] are rendered correctly in Opera
10.62 (build 3500) under Windows XP

Ok. <...deep breath...>  To make a story short, the problem was with that
CompatModeOverride setting and not with Opera 10.62. So my fault here. I
will notify your colleagues Geoffrey Sneddon and Řyvind Stenhaug of this
good news.

Thank you for your time! I really appreciate this

best regards, Gérard

[1]
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/section9.5.1-vertical-positioning-float.html
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/c414-flt-ln-002-draft.htm
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/float-005.html
--
CSS 2.1 Test suite beta 3 (August 15th 2010)

Contributions to CSS 2.1 test suite