Re: [cssom] Directions for better OM expansions

On 9/14/10 10:00 AM, Daniel Glazman wrote:
> That's a valid statement when presentational hints are directly
> translated into CSS styles. Not all can do it, and not all rendering
> engines do it.

The model the CSS specification defines requires doing it, at least
conceptually:

   If so, these attributes are translated to the corresponding CSS
   rules with specificity equal to 0, and are treated as if they
   were inserted at the start of the author style sheet. They may
   therefore be overridden by subsequent style sheet rules.

(CSS2.1 section 6.4.4).  In particular, any sane definition of cascaded
style must be affected by presentational hints, since they DO
participate in the cascade.

> But then a compromise would be to allow read/write when
> the originating rule is a author-level rule or a style attribute, and
> throw an exception in all other cases.

That sounds like a pretty fragile setup to me; whatever consumers do
will need a fallback for those "exceptional" cases, and then is there a
reason to not just always use the fallback?

And this still doesn't address issues with shorthands.

-Boris