Re: [CSS 2.1] [Section 9.5.1] Vertical positioning of floating boxes

On 13/09/2010 05:20, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
> Regarding this testcase:
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/c414-flt-ln-002-draft.htm

> 2- Shouldn't that margin box of that big triple-A-letters
> left-floating-box be placed at top-left corner of its enclosing<div>  *in
> the first line box*?

Not necessarily; it depends on position of the float placeholder in the
line box in which it sits.  (This position of course depends on the
width of the containing block.)

I'm not sure, but I think your post is questioning how it's decided next
to which line box a float sits.  This is Issue 192,[1] and see [3,2] in
particular.  I am currently challenging the resolution to that issue.[3]

> Regarding this testcase:
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/section9.5.1-vertical-positioning-float.html
>
> 1- The bright green square is right after the 3rd word (in the source
> code) in those 2 examples while the width of the paragraph is large, wide
> enough to still render the first 5 words of the paragraphs for the first
> line box. I did that on purpose so that the text versus bright green box
> would not be in a too tight horizontal space.
>
> Opera 10.62 under Windows XP displays the bright green square's margin box
> starting on the 2nd line box, not on the first line box, in the second
> example. The 2 examples in that testcase should be rendered identically,
> pixel per pixel, according to section 9.5.1.
> Am I missing something here? Can you explain this?

Op10.62/XP is wrong.  After flowing the first three words, there's still
room for the float on the same line without requiring rewrapping those
words into multiple line boxes, and so it is indeed placed on that line.
  (If there weren't room, it would be placed on the next line.)

[1] http://wiki.csswg.org/spec/css2.1#issue-192
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Aug/0181.html
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2010Sep/0053.html

Cheers,