Re: [CSS 2.1] [Section 9.5.1] Vertical positioning of floating boxes

Le Lun 13 septembre 2010 13:35, Anton Prowse a écrit :
> On 13/09/2010 05:20, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
>> Regarding this testcase:
>>
>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/c414-flt-ln-002-draft.htm
>
>> 2- Shouldn't that margin box of that big triple-A-letters
>> left-floating-box be placed at top-left corner of its enclosing<div>
>> *in
>> the first line box*?
>
> Not necessarily; it depends on position of the float placeholder in the
> line box in which it sits.  (This position of course depends on the
> width of the containing block.)
>
> I'm not sure, but I think your post is questioning how it's decided next
> to which line box a float sits.

Hello Anton,

No, my post did not want to question how it's decided next to which line
box a float sits. This whole thing started in

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-css-testsuite/2010Sep/0059.html

My goal was really to triple-check that c414-flt-ln-002-draft.htm
testcase, then ask if people saw differences between Opera 10.62 under
Windows XP and Opera 10.62 under Linux in 2 testcases.

If there is sufficient horizontal room granted by containing block on a
line box for a float, then it should choose it and it should do so
according to "8. A floating box must be placed as high as possible."
which other browsers do in those aforementioned testcases but not Opera
10.62 under Windows XP.

After seeing the way Opera 10.62 under Windows XP was handling
c414-flt-ln-002-draft.htm testcase, I decided to dig deeper and created a
smaller and more reliable, 100% trustworthy testcase (
section9.5.1-vertical-positioning-float.html [1]) where the displayed
layout would not and could not be questioned.

[1]
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/section9.5.1-vertical-positioning-float.html

best regards, Gérard
--
CSS 2.1 Test suite beta 3 (August 15th 2010)

Contributions to CSS 2.1 test suite