Re: 'initial' | 'inherit' inconsistency

At 10:58 AM -0700 10/28/10, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

>It is somewhat inconsistent, but CSS3 Values & Units makes the
>definitive statement that all properties everywhere accept 'inherit'
>and 'initial', and defines what that means.

    Yes, but not many modules reference it, which makes whatever it
says inapplicable in those cases, does it not?  And then there's the
cases where properties explicitly define an 'initial' that might be
at odds with the universal 'initial' that Values & Units defines.
It's fairly hard to tell.  It also implies that any property that
explicitly lists 'inherit' could be defining something different than
the universal 'inherit'.  Maybe they aren't, but do we know?  For
sure?
    I'm still firmly on the side of explicitly listing them on each
property definition rather than relying on a blanket statement
located somewhere other than the property definition.  Doing so
greatly reduces the chances of confusion.

--
Eric A. Meyer (eric@meyerweb.com)     http://meyerweb.com/