Re: [css3-writing-modes] a third option for implementing logical properties

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> > Mainly because this isn't really something related to a given media
> > type, it's effectively a browser capability test.  I'm sure it's
> > possible to implement it with MQ but it feels incongruent.
>
> Media Queries are testing capabilities of the device. Given how close
> the device and browser are I think for features that have a major
> impact on your style sheet it does make sense to have a media query of
> some kind. I.e. I think we should probably have them for vertical
> layout support, transforms, 3D transforms, and touch input. And maybe
> some other things I have forgotten.
>
> Another reason for this is that Media Queries is what we have and they
> are easy to extend. Adding a separate mechanism for choosing style
> sheets based on browser capabilities is not really worth it.

Given that the Media Queries spec is in CR going towards PR, what's the avenue
for specifying this?  Simply include it in CSS3 Writing Modes?

So @writing-mode would instead be:

  @media (writing-mode) {
     /* styles used when writing modes are supported */
     .rounded { border-radius: 2em 1em; }
  }

Is that what you're imagining?

John Daggett