Re: [css3-writing-modes] a third option for implementing logical properties

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 10:20:41 +0200, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com>
wrote:
> Mainly because this isn't really something related to a given media
> type, it's effectively a browser capability test.  I'm sure it's
> possible to implement it with MQ but it feels incongruent.

Media Queries are testing capabilities of the device. Given how close the
device and browser are I think for features that have a major impact on
your style sheet it does make sense to have a media query of some kind.
I.e. I think we should probably have them for vertical layout support,
transforms, 3D transforms, and touch input. And maybe some other things I
have forgotten.

Another reason for this is that Media Queries is what we have and they are
easy to extend. Adding a separate mechanism for choosing style sheets
based on browser capabilities is not really worth it.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/