RE: @font-face and slow downloading

On Thursday, October 21, 2010 2:17 PM David Singer wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2010, at 11:13 , Belov, Charles wrote:
> >
> > I *do* want the fallback font.  What I also want is to be able to
> > specify in my user style sheet that if the download font can't
> download
> > within x seconds that I don't want it at all.
>
> sounds more like a UA preference than a CSS issue (i.e. a preference
> rather than necessarily being in a style sheet)

My personal user preference would always be to show the text with the fall-back font right away, and then re-render it with the downloaded font (like Brad mentioned, it feels like something is broken when no text is displayed on a page). For this same reason, I would do the same for the website I authored, to force the text display in a fall-back font and do not leave it up to UA to apply its own wisdom. Seems like a much desirable CSS issue to me.

Regards,
Vlad