Re: [css3-multicol] overflow and paging?

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Shelby Moore <shelby@coolpage.com> wrote:
>  Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote:
>> It seems that the other part of this debate -- how to increase
>> influence over how overflow situations are handled -- must be left for
>> a future draft.
>

> I am happy enough you are aware of it. Does that mean not in CSS3, or
> possibly in a next draft of CSS3?  Apologies I am ignorant of the process
> here.

No problem.  There's no such thing as "CSS3", which is an unfortunate
source of widespread confusion.  After CSS2.1 the group moved entirely
to a modular system, where we produce many drafts covering different
aspects, which are then allowed to progress at their own rate.

So this just means that it won't show up in the current Multicol
module (because it's in CR and nearly ready to finish up the
standardization process).  Instead, it will be looked at when we
produce an update to Multicol, which may be soon.

(Ideally we might work in an unversioned manner, but W3C process
requires us to periodically close things off and finalize them as
standards.  This doesn't mean that progress has to stop, just that
occasionally we'll define a stopping point, work on polishing up
what's there, and then put the new stuff in a second module later on.)