Re: CSS3: Suggestion for another list-style-type

"Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Can't do this, since the <glyph> entities have been around for a long
> time, and tons of content depends on them.

Thanks! OK, I understand...

> ::marker only pays attention to list-style-type when it has
> content:normal (which is the default).  If you explicitly set content
> to something else, it uses that instead.

I don't like to overly stress this point, but to lower future ambiguity --
and to silently prepare deprecation of list-style-type -- wouldn't it be
appropriate to move list-style-type definition completely over to the
::marker pseudo-element then? It's the ::marker responsible for rendering
bullets, numbering etc. The <ul>/<ol> elements just provide an empty
container box, but they are not responsible for anything li::marker-related.

> (As a direct response to your suggestion to omit the <glyph> values of
> list-style-type, those generally define values that are difficult to
> input on a standard keyboard, or require knowledge of the exact
> unicode code point for them.  I happen to have a custom keyboard map
> that allows me to type an ordinary bullet easily, but I can't do the
> same for the other values.)

I see... Good point. (frankly I have become a bit curious about why you seem
to be frequently using bullets ;) ) Actually, whenever I want to change a
bullet to something "extraordinary", I'm regularly using the Character Table
applet coming with Windows. Still, of course, it's sometimes easier to
quickly type in the identifier. I see that point, too.

Cheers,
Axel Dahmen