Re: CSS3: Suggestion for another list-style-type

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Axel Dahmen <brille1@hotmail.com> wrote:
> If using ::marker (which I tend to favour myself as well), wouldn't it be
> appropriate then to omit the <glyph> entities in favour of a static value
> of, say "fixed"?

Can't do this, since the <glyph> entities have been around for a long
time, and tons of content depends on them.

> What if a list-style-type rule defines "circle" and the ::marker defines
> something else? I see an ambiguity here. Of course, it could be circumvented
> by declaration (e.g. "marker supersedes list-style-type"), but wouldn't it
> be cleaner then to leave out the <glyph> values at all?
>
> What if list-style-type defines any of the <numeric> or <algorithmic>
> values? What about ::marker then?

::marker only pays attention to list-style-type when it has
content:normal (which is the default).  If you explicitly set content
to something else, it uses that instead.

(As a direct response to your suggestion to omit the <glyph> values of
list-style-type, those generally define values that are difficult to
input on a standard keyboard, or require knowledge of the exact
unicode code point for them.  I happen to have a custom keyboard map
that allows me to type an ordinary bullet easily, but I can't do the
same for the other values.)