Re: CSS3: Suggestion for another list-style-type

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Axel Dahmen <brille1@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Once everyone properly supports the existing ::marker pseudoelement
>> and content properties, you can do this without any special
>> intervention:
>>
>> li::marker {
>>  content: "»";
>> }
>

> I see... From new discussion in the newsgroup I read that the above rule
> would be insufficient. It was said to be:
>
> ul
>  {list-style-type: none;
>  }
>
> li::marker
>  {content: "»";
>  }
>
> What is correct then?

It doesn't look like that *should* be necessary.  If it is, I'd chalk
it up to a buggy implementation.  (In fact, I suspect that in a
non-buggy implementation that would simply hide the marker entirely.)

> Still, wouldn't it be more appropriate to allow <string> values for the
> list-style-type property? Why separating this value from all the other
> predefined values allowed on list-style-type?

It's certainly possible.  I was just pointing out that it wasn't necessary.