Re: [css3-fonts] font-specific feature handling

Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> Another approach, which I raised the previous time we discussed this, is
> to allow font-specific features (i.e., numbered features) everywhere,
> but (outside @font-face) we only apply those features where the font
> being used to render the text is the first font in the font-family
> property.

I think it would work in a lot of cases but I think it's a confusing
rule for authors.  As the examples I posted show in some cases
discretionary ligatures can be very font-specific, so I don't think
restricting this behavior to a specific set of values makes sense. There
are also cases where a particular fallback pattern *would* be consistent
across fonts, it really depends on the content and the fonts involved.

John