Re: ol style - a number in a circle

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Patrick Garies <pgaries@fastmail.us> wrote:
> On 2010-03-01 6:02 AM, Matthew Millar wrote:
>>
>> Second:
>>
>> Using a glyph requires each end-users system to have the font, with the
>> glyph in. I've noticed, certainly on mine, that double-circled-decimal
>> and filled-circled-decimal render as squares, because those gylphs
>> aren't available in the font on my system.
>
> You could deal with this via CSS3 Fonts by delivering a font that you know
> has the desired glyphs.
>
> Assuming you were to have a library of fonts or able to make your own fonts,
> this would also give you a bit more of the desired freedom; I don't think it
> would accommodate multi-color bullets though. I wonder if SVG fonts allow
> for multiple colors...

If it were a custom font, you would deal with multiple colors via
distinct glyphs, which would be made to overlap by giving all but the
last glyph zero advance width. The colors would be specified manually,
as that data is not part of the font proper.

This is how (for example) multi-color logos are put into custom fonts.

Cheers,

"The rat's perturbed; it must sense nanobots! Code grey! We have a
Helvetica scenario!" — http://xkcd.com/683/