Re: [css3-background] box-shadow spread Multiple Choice Question

On Jun 6, 2010, at 1:04 PM, fantasai wrote:

> On 06/06/2010 10:22 AM, Brad Kemper wrote:
>> On Jun 3, 2010, at 5:05 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:
>>>
>>> 3a. In my tests, it actually looked better than 2a's truer offset, and if
>>> it is better for performance, so much the better.
>>
>> Oops, I left out number 4 (and 4a), which was "prefer #2 (or 2a), but allow #3
>> (or 3a)." So, I'd insert those options as follows (in descending order of
>> preference).
>>
>> 3a
>> 4a
>> 2a
>> 3
>> 4
>
> I think, actually, that it is important for us to keep to the stricter
> definition of spread. I'm not sure what examples you looked at, but the
> difference in effect is more exaggerated when the curve is more
> extremely elliptical. E.g. if you take a 10:1 ratio of radii and have
> 1 be the border thickness, #3's distortion will be more obvious.
>
> But super-elliptical corners are relatively rare. A more important
> consideration is that we're likely to add other shapes such as angled
> corners in the future, and I think approach #4 is both easier to
> generalize and gives better results.
>
>    _____
>  /      \
>  \______/
>
> If you take approach #3 with angled corners, I think you'll see that
> the shadow spread at the angles is noticeably thinner than at the
> straight sides.
>
> ~fantasai

I was looking at this:

http://www.bradclicks.com/cssplay/spread-detail-comparison.png

..where the curve started to kink a little on an inner shadow, because in one dimension it was getting closer to being a sharp corner, but in the other dimension it still wanted to be a smooth curve.