Re: [css3-text-layout] margin-before/after/start/end etc. and :ttb pseudo-classes

On Jun 6, 2010, at 4:25 PM, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:

> Also sprach Brad Kemper:
>
>>> That would be a longer stretch, but not impossibly so. Code like this
>>> could work:
>>>
>>> @media (block-direction: rl) { ... }
>>> @media (preferred-writing-mode: vertical) { ... }
>>> @media (ttb) { ... }
>>
>> Why a longer stretch? It would be better than writing ':ttb' a hundred
>> times.
>
> I'm fine with using media queries. Querying user preferences would be
> somewhat novel, but one can query window sizes today and that is also
> a user preference, kind of.

Yes. I think that philosophically it is not that different from querying the orientation (which can change when the user rotates his tablet 90 degrees), or the resolution or screen width or color depth (which the user can often change via a control panel).

Of course, this all assuming that the mechanism for changing the preferred writing mode is doing so completely outside of the document structure and NOT by changing the style sheet or any DOM attribute.