Re: [CSS21] Another ambiguity in the definition of "containing block"

On 7/13/10 5:00 PM, fantasai wrote:
> Add to section 9.2.1.1
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#anonymous-block-level>:
>
> | Anonymous block boxes are ignored when resolving percentage values
> | that would refer to it: the closest non-anonymous ancestor box is
> | used instead. For example, if the child of the anonymous block box
> | inside the DIV above needs to know the height of its containing block
> | to resolve a percentage height, then it will use the height of the
> | containing block formed by the DIV, not of the anonymous block box.
>
> Because that's the best I can come up with here.

That wording suggests that the anonymous block box in fact forms a
containing block.  Does it?  Why can we not just say that anonymous
block boxes are not considered when determining the containing block?
Is there nothing other than percentages that depends on the containing
block (or more importantly its height, since the content width of the
anonymous block box is the content width of its parent)?

-Boris