Re: [css3-background] border-radius color transitions using gradients recommended but undefined

On Jan 26, 2010, at 11:58 PM, Daniel Glazman wrote:

> Speaking of the existing hiatus about dotted borders, I heard myself
> some web authors loudly complaining about it. I think we should avoid
> another bad story of that kind. "Undefined behaviour" should be really
> exceptional.
>
> Leaving this undefined and moving to a feedback loop after PR _is_
> a standardization process going on at implementation level. So
> standardization is possible, and it's possible at spec level.
>
> Let's continue the discussion at the technical level, to see if we can
> find a preferred and desired behaviour that is interoperably
> implementable. Speeding up things to avoid another stage back at
> WD level does not seem to me a reasonable argument here.
> If the investigation shows that no interoperable algo can be found
> at this time, then the "undefined _for the time being_ because of
> platform constraints" solution will probably be the best. But since
> this investigation did not really happen, we're unable to resolve now.
> The CR period ends in June and that should be enough to untie the knot.

This approach is fine with me. Since border-styles are also part of the same spec, can we also tighten that up too? There is no inter-op currently on dot shape or spacing, so standardizing that would be unlikely to break anything substantially. For "dotted", it does now say "round" dots, and I think we can be more precise. Something along the lines of this:

‘dotted’
A series of round dots, evenly spaced around the entire border (including corners and border radii). The space between dots should be approximately equal to the width of one dot, but this spacing should be adjusted in order to achieve uniform spacing, with no less than .75 dot-width of space between dots. Spacing of dots may be different along vertical border sides than along horizontal border sides, in order to achieve symmetry at the corners.

Webkit is still non-complient with the "round" dot requirement, and Gecko doesn't make the corner dots round. Here was the results of a test I did a while ago, with little or no improvement noticeable since:

http://www.bradclicks.com/cssplay/bigdots.html