Re: Making pt a non-physical unit

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 3:01 PM, David Singer <singer@apple.com> wrote:

> It is recommended (required?) that a CSS pixel be an integer number of
> device pixels, particularly if the ratio of CSS pixel to device pixel size
> is small.

I don't think this recommendation should be part of the spec. It's a
UA-specific, media-specific issue. As it turns out, in Gecko for screens you
get maximum performance and quality with 1 device pixel per CSS pixel, and
if the ratio is not 1, it doesn't really matter whether it's an integer or
not.

In screen media, a CSS pixel is often (recommended to be?) one or more
> device pixels, subtending the angle given above at the eye when viewed from
> the expected viewing distance.  For 96 dpi computer displays read at a
> normal viewing distance, both CSS pixel and CSS inch may map to their true
> counterparts.  For small high-resolution displays intended for 'close up'
> viewing, this means that a CSS pixel may map to a device pixel and that a
> CSS inch may be smaller than a physical inch on the screen, and for large
> displays intended for distant viewing, a CSS inch may be larger than a CSS
> inch.

... may be larger than a physical inch.

The rest sounds OK.

Rob