Re: Making pt a non-physical unit

On 01/06/2010 02:29 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Giuseppe Bilotta
> <giuseppe.bilotta@gmail.com <mailto:giuseppe.bilotta@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     If UAs make an effort instead to implement things properly,
>     working around broken sites with something similar to the Quirks mode
>     or other workaround used to deal with messy pages, it can be fixed.
>
> I considered making pt non-physical in quirks mode only. However, given
> that HTML email commonly contains font sizes in pt, I expect that there
> are mailing list archives that present such email in standards mode. I
> don't see how such archives can really be fixed, even if there was a
> will to fix them.

I suspect that web archives of HTML emails aren't a very important use
case here. If they're advertisements, then they might break, but that's
ok because how many people really want to view web archives of email
advertisements? If they're written by people, then chances are they
aren't that dependent on the exact font size since the vast majority
of people writing email just use flowed text and not fancy layouts.

~fantasai