Re: Making pt a non-physical unit

On 1/7/10 10:38 AM, Ambrose LI wrote:
> I don't understand why we are stressing the importance of physical
> accuracy in projections. Do people expect units to measure as spec'd
> when projected?

I have no idea, but the spec says they should at the moment.  Just like
it says they should measure as spec'd on an iPhone.  Or on an
eye-glasses display.  Or a contact lens display.  That's what makes the
physical units physical.

That's also what makes them clearly nonsense for anything where you
don't control the device; 12pt font on a contact lens display would be
... interesting.

> When we spec 12pt on PowerPoint does it result in 12pt type on the projection
> screen which looks like a tiny dot 15 ft away? No.

That's precisely how Webkit and IE treat pt in general and how Robert is
proposing Gecko treat pt.  It's a clear violation of what the CSS spec
says to do with pt at the moment.

-Boris