Re: [css3-text] alternate name for line-break: newspaper

On 12/21/2010 08:56 PM, John Hudson wrote:
>> "Free" means no restrictions, right? Assuming so, because the most
>> relaxed level is not "free" (we have the least set of restrictions
>> that nobody would want to disable), I guess we should use:
>> strict, normal, relaxed
> If you want a four level structure in which the least strict options
> represented 'the least set of restrictions that nobody would want to
> disable', I suggest
> Strict
> Normal
> Relaxed
> Minimal

While that list seems reasonable in isolation, I don't think
"line-break: minimal" carries the right connotation: it seems
to mean "minimize line breaks".

 > Looser and Loose are not good terms because they are not typical antonyms
 > to Strict, and in a typographic setting the term loose usually applies to
 > spatial relationships (e.g. loose letter spacing, loose line spacing)
 > rather than something like linebreak logic.

The antonym to "strict" in this case is "lenient", but that's
a little hard to spell.

"Loose" can be used in the sense of "not strict"; I think it's
good enough for here.

line-break: normal | strict | loose

If we need to add a third level, we can call it "lenient" or "relaxed"

line-break: normal | strict | loose | relaxed


Received on Wednesday, 22 December 2010 02:37:16 UTC