Re: [CSS21] 4.3.2 Lengths (reference pixel?)

On 2010/12/14 18:29 (GMT-0800) Peter Linss composed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>>  You've not used many Linux distros over the years.

> Not for desktop, daily use systems, no. The same as 99+%* of all other
> web users.

> Do you guys want us to break the web for 99%* of the users to satisfy
> the<  1%*?

Sure, tyranny of the minority by the majority is always justified, right?

I don't understand what's so awful about introducing logical mm/cm/in/pt/pc
etc. as lmm, lcm, lin, lpt, lpc to pacify the supposed majority without
breaking what works for the minority, and make unequivocal that CSS is
dominated by units that do not directly correlate to apparently identical
units well understood in the whole rest of the world.

> * yes, I'm making that number up to make a point, don't start a debate
> over it, it won't change anything.

http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php shows Linux presence on the web is
considerably more than inconsequential at 1.4%+. Elsewhere I've seen that
number more than doubled.

Also, the 99%- of others are not all broken. And as I've written already
upthread, some web pages are built using absolute units for the precise
purpose of enabling configuration correction, or demonstrating configuration
error. They rely on CSS units that appear to be world standard units
continuing to mean what they used to mean in CSS, and still do in all other
environments. Hijacking standard units to mean something different promotes
chaos. Language in the specs explaining special contextual meaning will not
prevent it.

Additionally, tying so-called absolute units to a certain number of pixels
serves to promote the bogus notion that widespread use of px for sizing is
usually appropriate and good, when the accurate statement is that use of px
for sizing is usually bad, as an unnecessary and unfortunate restraint on
adaptability, accessibility and usability; convenience for designers,
inconvenience for web users.

  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/