Re: [css3-multicol] test suite

Robert O'Callahan wrote:

 > > In cases where the height is specified to be longer than the natural
 > > lengths of the columns, should the column rules be as long as (a) the
 > > height or (b) the natural length?

 > I would say (b).

I agree.

 > > Should column rules be clipped where column-span elements are -- or
 > > should one have to specify a background color on the column-span
 > > elements in order to hide the column rules?
 >
 > I'd clip them.

I agree.

Fantasai wrote:

 > I think that column rules should be the height of the column box.

That sounds right.

Now we only need to find the height of the column box -- the currenct
spec isn't entirely clear on this, I'm afraid.

 > I also think that content should be able to overflow the column
 > box, e.g. if we have a height-constrained column, then content
 > that is too tall should overflow the column box (and thus be taller
 > than the column rule).

So, you're saying that the column box will never stick outside the
content box of the multicol element? This is what the current spec
dictates, but one that Robert disagrees with, I believe.

If we chose this option, I also think we should specify that wide rules
will be clipped by the content box, and that rules entirely outside
the content box should not be drawn.

Robert, if we don't chose this option, what should happen with an
overly tall non-breakable float (as in fantasai's example below) --
should it elongate all the column boxes/rules in that multicol
element?

 > If we're balancing columns, then the column
 > boxes should the balanced height.

Right. This is in line with (b) above.

 > So, in some cases the column rule will be "clipped" with respect to
 > the content, and in some cases it will match the height of the content
 > and in some cases it will be shorter. But I think this makes sense
 > and gives a straightforward model for implementation. (Consider, for
 > example, a overly tall non-breakable float and text wrapped along
 > its side -- the bottom of the column box should be at the height
 > constraint, but the float would be overflowing.)

Yes, this is a good example.