Re: Are CSS animations a done deal?

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 22:38:51 +0200, Lars Gunther <gunther@keryx.se> wrote:
> 2010-03-31 15:55, Lars Gunther skrev:
>> However:
>>
>> It does not solve the other problems I have mentioned, which are about
>> authoring.
>>
>> - Animations triggered by anything but hover and focus, eg. click, load,
>> submit, XHR readystates, key events, etc.
>> - Animations triggered by events on the non-animated elements, where CSS
>> selectors are not enough to describe the relationship.
>> - Setting animation properties through a script, e.g. changing the rules
>> in a key frame, or creating rules programmatically.
>>
>> Neither does it address my concerns about having clean solutions.
>>
>> - Today we use imperative scripting to manipulate style attributes, to
>> get animation effects.
>> - Tomorrow we should use declarative scripting to achieve similar, but
>> hardware accelerated, effects.
>>
>> There might be some pure CSS-animations on the web of tomorrow, but
>> there will also be a lot of combined CSS-animation/DOM-scripting, with
>> the current proposal.
>>
>> So can someone please answer this question: Why should setting and
>> deleting classes on an element be the only way to do this combination?
>> Why do you like to impose that limitation on the technology?
>
> As people return from easter/pesach/holiday of choice, I hope somebody
> will take the time to address my question.
>
> (And I've not even begun to talk about accessibility yet...)

Your use cases/questions seem to assume that the current level of
separation between scripting and CSS needs to be maintained going forward.
However, there is hardly any separation to speak of currently.

Personally I think moving away from specifying style information in script
to just specifying class name changes is actually an improvement. That way
the style information stays neatly separated from the script and can be
changed by designers who might not be involved with the scripting layer of
the site at all. That way it can also be more easily overridden by end
users.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/