W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > November 2009

Re: [CSS21] should text-decoration propagate to table-cells from ?table or above?

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:49:31 -0600
Message-ID: <dd0fbad0911170849s79c41c61m148ba3cd6da3d478@mail.gmail.com>
To: Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 03:36:39 +0100, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I propose the following text to replace the first paragraph in section
>> 16.3.1 of CSS 2.1:
>> Inline elements cause all of the boxes they generate to be affected by
>> any text-decoration specified on the element or propagated from a
>> non-inline parent, and further propagate these text-decorations to any
>> in-flow children that are not inline-table or inline-block. All other
>> elements propagate text-decorations to their in-flow children.
>> Non-inline elements with inline children are considered to have an
>> anonymous inline box that wraps any inline content.
> There seems to be some mixing up of elements and boxes here. It's not
> completely clear to me if the parent/child relationships described are
> supposed to refer to the document tree or the formatting structure.

Ooh, I see what you mean.  The last sentence refers to an inline box,
but the first sentence only refers to inline elements.  It's intended
that the first sentence apply to the box generated by the last
sentence.  I'm not sure what the best way to resolve that ambiguity

> Also, what's an inline element (/"non-inline parent"/"non-inline
> element"/"inline child") exactly? The term seems to be used elsewhere too,
> but I only see definitions (if they can be called that) for "inline-level
> element" and "inline box".

An element with display:inline.  I believe that's the standard way to
refer to such things, similar to how you'd refer to an inline-table
element for any elements with display:inline-table.

It's specially *not* equivalent to "inline-level element", as that
refers to all things that 'act inline', such as inline-table and
inline-block.  It shouldn't be equivalent to "inline box" either,
except for the ambiguity you noted and I talked about above.

Received on Tuesday, 17 November 2009 16:50:24 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 25 March 2022 10:07:40 UTC