Re: radial-gradient() proposal

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 1:55 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Brendan Kenny <bckenny@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 1. An angle, a start point and a length
>> or
>> 2. An angle, which forms an assumed axis covering the entire box and
>> color stops (including beginning and end) as lengths along that axis.
>> Without lengths it could be assumed we start at 0% and end at 100%.
>>
>> I'm torn on which seems better. (1) would give an author more obvious
>> control (without having to do any napkin calculations to find
>> percentages they want)
>
> I'm okay with requiring basic napkin calculation to handle the case of
> knowing what %s you want the stops to be at *and* knowing what length
> you want the entire gradient to be.  That's a trivial enough
> calculation (I want a 25% stop in a 260px gradient, so 260 * .25 =
> 65px) that I don't think it's a problem we need to solve.  It's when
> an author has to do trig to solve reasonably common cases that we have
> a problem.
>
>> but, given the limited use cases ("I just want
>> a gradient at this angle"), (2) might make more sense in its
>> simplicity.
>
> Can we recall what the use-case was for angle+point in the first
> place?  It would, I think, simplify the mental model of things
> considerably if that can be dropped.  Then you'd have only three ways
> of specifying a gradient - angle, point, and default, and all three
> will work intuitively.
>
> ~TJ

Ah, a closer reading of your proposal shows that what I call (2) above
is exactly what you already proposed in your <angle> paragraph. At
first read through I had thought you were suggesting that the angle
just specifies that the starting point snaps to the closest corner,
and that was its only functionality. A diagram here would clear up a
lot.

Simplifying to the three cases you give (point, angle, default) would
seem to make the most sense. The dual <bg-position> and <angle> form
could be eliminated, as it can be easily specified by an angle and a
first color stop calculated in the fashion you mentioned above.

Would (point [, point]?), angle, default work and not add to the
confusion of this discussion? From what has been said it seems like
specifying an end point makes the most sense to some.