Re: font proposal bogosities

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 7:40 AM, Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net> wrote:

>   Consider a hypothetical world in which EOT
>   is Recommended and UAs "MUST" not render if
>   the root string is mis-matched.
>
>   In that world, consider a browser which,
>   nevertheless, renders the font in such a circumstance.
>
>   Interoperability is not broken.

No, it absolutely is. Authors using the lenient browser will create
documents using incorrect rootstrings, either accidentally or on purpose.
They won't see any problem, since they're using the lenient browser, so they
will publish those documents. Users using other browsers won't see those
documents as the author intended.

We've seen this kind of thing happen over and over again on the Web.

This is actually a big problem for the suggestion that browsers implement
EOT with same-origin restriction + CORS and ignore rootstrings. Thanks for
bringing it up.

2. A new format whose sole purpose is to be different
>   from existing formats has, as its rationale, the
>   goal of *breaking* interoperability between
>   Web UAs and other desktop programs.  Additionally,
>   it creates a new format that some desktop programs
>   will use and others refuse to use, damaging document
>   exchange interoperability generally.
>
>   It would be an absurdity for a W3C Recommendation to
>   be formed for the goal, and with the effect of damaging
>   interoperability among other programs.
>
> On that basis, I think (as do others, I'm sure) that
> EOT is not appropriate and that the suggestion of modifying
> TT or OT by "XORing a few bits" is a non-starter.

I've already replied explaining why this is not true. Why don't you follow
up there instead of starting a new thread to simply repeat your case?

Rob
53:5-6]