Re: New work on fonts at W3C

My personal opinion -- having not talked to the lawyers and engineers,
the opinions of whom are of substantial value with a subject like this
-- is that the font-name-change idea is a nonstarter. Why, you will
ask? Well, to be candid it simply strikes me as hacky and inelegant,
but more substantially, it is a distraction from discussion of much
more mature, comprehensive proposals, namely Ascender's, or even the
old EOT proposal. (Is the latter really dead or not?)

A proper solution will, IMO, employ obfuscation, subsetting and
compression. And although I think the details are still quite murky,
the ideas for license info embedding and access control are worthwhile
and can best be accomplished with a new font wrapper. (I would call it
a format, but I don't want to set anyone off. We're really talking
about a file that essentially packages an existing font file.)

Like Vlad, I would prefer a more focused discussion on the merits of
Ascender's proposal. What would really be nice is if the Fonts Working
Group could get rolling with a constructive investigation. John D. has
said he is open to consider these things, so I would like to see
Mozilla and other browser developers join the font foundries and
everyone else there with an eye toward a concrete recommendation. It
really does seem to me that many previously-contentious issues (DRM,
IP) have been addressed.

Just to be clear: I think the free-form discussion that's been going
on here is interesting, important and certainly useful for exploring
new and different approaches. With that said, we do, at some point,
have to focus on something, and like I said, the font-renaming
approach seems second-tier at best.

Regards,
Christopher