Re: New work on fonts at W3C

On Jun 24, 2009, at 10:52 AM, "Levantovsky, Vladimir" <Vladimir.Levantovsky@MonotypeImaging.com
 > wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:19 PM Brad Kemper wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 24, 2009, at 9:05 AM, Levantovsky, Vladimir wrote:
>>

>>> So you are saying that
>>> - you would rather continue serve EOT to IE and raw TrueType to
> other
>>> browsers,
>>
>> No, but that won't change until Microsoft starts supporting the same
>> formats as Firefox, Safari, and Webkit. If they are going to start
>> supporting font formats that they don't currently support, then they
>> should start with OpenType and TrueType, absolutely.
>>

> This is exactly the problem I am trying to solve. Why is that someone
> has always have do what someone else has done, even if there is no
> consensus for it.

Because by definition, if there is no consensus, then someone hasn't
done it yet. Because consensus might never be achieved, and life moves
on while we wait for one, and authors would like to get started with
the very workable solutions currently available. Because there is near
consensus among implenters about the value of supporting raw file
formats, with the one major exception being the company that is nearly
always lagging in standards support (for about the last decade anyway).

> It was not okay for EOT to be supported by other
> browsers because we didn't reach a consensus,

That was not the only reason, which I believe you know.

> and we do not have a
> consensus with OpenType and TrueType either.

Pretty close to it among implentors and authors.

> We could be much better off if we get out of the trenches and adopt a
> position that, as Aryeh said, may not be ideal but can work and would
> satisfy all parties involved.

Great! Glad to hear that you will now be supporting Daggett's scheme,
and that Microsoft will be concentrating the @font-face improvement on
supporting regular formats as well as the other implentors are.