RE: New work on fonts at W3C

Brad,

I believe that free and open market is the only realistic force that
would provide an incentive for font vendors to "act reasonably" and do
something *you* believe is in their own interest. Just an analogy -
nobody could force Comcast (a cable company in US) to drop the price for
their service when it was the monopolistic broadband service provider,
but things changed very quickly when Verizon (a telephone company in US)
introduced its fiber-optic service to residential customers. Now the
consumers do have a choice and it's the only force that makes Comcast
and Verizon act reasonably. Open standard can only enable this to happen
- if we choose to act wisely the results will truly benefit everybody on
the web. By enabling commercial font vendors offer their products to web
designers we put them in a position where they will compete with each
other - this competition (and nothing else) will force them (i.e. us)
"act reasonably" and in the best interests of our customers (i.e. you).

For this to happen, Monotype has agreed to provide the best font
compression technology available to date, free of charge and with no
restrictions. I just do not see how this could possibly compromise the
standard.

Regards,

Vladimir