Re: New work on fonts at W3C

On Jun 22, 2009, at 9:35 AM, Levantovsky, Vladimir wrote:

> The greatest value of open standards is to create an environment
> where as many participants can happily enjoy the freedom of choice –
> and this includes the freedom to choose anything they need and want.
> Freedom is not a synonym to “free of charge”, and, when it comes to
> fonts, open standard that restricts its users to a severely limited
> set of font choices that are only available for free limits the
> freedom of both consumers and font vendors.

I would like to see commercial font publishers to join the party by
providing reasonable web font licensing in a way that did not require
new formats (that they then use to get more money out of people that
already bought their fonts once for creative production of published
content), and did not require new standards-body-sanctioned DRM, and
did not prevent licensing under GPL.

Unfortunately though, we cannot force major foundries to act
reasonably, even in their own business interest, and they have a
history of an ultra-conservative approach to new business
opportunities. There seems to be a strong feeling on this list that we
should not, however, compromise the standard in order to accommodate
the reluctance of said foundries. And for implementors that publish
under a GPL license, OET seems to be a non-starter.