Re: New work on fonts at W3C

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 6:55 PM, Chris Wilson<Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com> wrote:
> John Daggett [mailto:jdaggett@mozilla.com] wrote:
>>On this point, actions speak louder than words.  Rather than kvetch
>>about TTF/OTF direct linking, it would help things immensely if
>>Microsoft were to publicly participate in discussing these matters and
>>make improvements in Internet Explorer to make using @font-face less
>>painful than it is today. After simply pushing EOT as "the answer" to
>>this problem, very little has been done by Microsoft to participate in
>>cooperative discussions of the solution.
>
> Hmm.  I would say the same has been true of the other camp, who have simply been pushing "TTF linking is the answer" and walking away from the other problems.  Kinda how I see the "font foundries will just get replaced by ones who like this strategy" comment.

To be fair, it worked with music, and is in the process of working
with many other content industries.  Betting on free has a very good
track record on the web, no matter how much the entrenched industries
kick and scream about it.  I think a lot of us don't see a compelling
reason to bet *against* the existing widespread free format yet.

~TJ