Re: New work on fonts at W3C

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Robert O'Callahan<robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 4:32 AM, Dave Crossland <dave@lab6.com> wrote:
>>
>> Isn't that lack of control what made the web not become yet another failed
>> hyperetext system a la xanadu?
>
> The Web became successful before scripts and stylesheets even existed. So
> are you arguing that cross-origin image loads made it successful? I think
> not, most image references are same-origin. This isn't really the forum for
> analyzing why Xanadu and others failed.

And, in fact, many authors go to significant lengths to prevent others
from making cross-origin image loads (otherwise known as hotlinking or
"stealing my goddam bandwidth"), and most such solutions end up
hurting people who for whatever reason don't broadcast the Referer
header.  Being able to prevent this sort of thing in a non-hacky way
would probably be a good thing.  Heck, the whole iframe issue, for
one, causes some horrendous security issues.  I wish we could take
that back.

~TJ