Re: [css3-fonts] Usefulness of 'unicode-range'

Simon Pieters wrote:
> I'm a bit uncertain about the usefulness of 'unicode-range'.
>
> It seems simpler and more effective for an author who wants to optimize
> bandwidth to inspect himself which characters he will be using on his
> pages, and providing a single font file that covers those characters.

One of the main purposes of unicode-range, as I understand it, isn't to
restrict which characters are used out of a given font, but to advise
to the UA whether it would be useful to it to download the font. E.g.
if two fonts are offered, one covering the Latin ranges and one covering
the Han ranges, the author can let the UA know which is which so on a
Latin-only page it knows not to bother downloading the Han range font.

I'm sure jdaggett has other/better examples of where it is useful...

~fantasai