Re: New work on fonts at W3C

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>wrote:

> In an informal survey of the various computers I own, with a varying
> supply of fonts, I can display Thai on a web page with the default
> fonts with no problem.  I'm not completely sure if this is drawing
> from existing fonts on my system that Firefox is automatically doing
> fallback to, or if Thai is simply supported as part of the default
> fonts, but I figured an Indic font would be reasonably niche to test
> with.

Firefox and other browsers will search through every font installed on your
system to find one that supports a character, if necessary.

My understanding is that for a lot of communities there are ONLY free fonts,
because there's not much commercial value in producing a font that only some
relatively small and impoverished group is interested in. I would be
interested to hear about languages where the only good fonts are non-free.

Rob
53:5-6]