From: David Woolley [mailto:forums@david-woolley.me.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 10:07 AM
To: Jonathan Rosenne
Cc: www-international@w3.org; www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: controlling digits substitution in IE/FF (Arabic/Hindi/Decimal)

Jonathan Rosenne wrote:
> In some areas of the world, Hindi digits are used. In other areas, Arabic
> digits are used. When someone looks at a web page in Arabic, he could be

There are no specifically Hindi digits.  Each Indic script (e.g.
including Thai) tends to have its own digits.  Hindi is written in
Devanagari script, but Marathi is also written in that script.

Also, in English, "Arabic numerals" is commonly used to refer to
distinction between a place value system with a zero and the old Roman
numeral system, not to to the actual Arabic glyphs.

> expected to see the digits he is used to.
>
> The viewer's preference may be independent of the preference of the
> originator of the web page.

That requires semantic mark up for numbers.  In particular, for Chinese,
  serial numbers, and even things like bus route numbers, are
represented as a string of digits, whereas numerical numbers have
multipliers embedded.  In English, this happens when speaking numbers,
but not when writing them.  (Note that, in real life, European style
numbers are used in China.)

It would make sense for telephone numbers to be presented right to left
in Arabic, even though numeric numbers have their most significant digit
on the right.  I don't know the actual situation.

--
David Woolley