Re: [css3-mediaqueries] 'only'/'not' with omitted media type

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 00:09:04 +0200, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
wrote:

> On Friday 2009-06-12 17:33 +0200, Øyvind Stenhaug wrote:
>> Some of the prose regarding 'not' and 'only' is inconsistent with the
>> current syntax, e.g. this sentence from section 2:
>>
>> "User agents must process media queries starting with 'only' as if the
>> 'only' keyword was not present."
>>
>> @media only (color) { /* media query is dropped because the syntax
>> requires a media type */ }
>> @media (color) { /* match, assuming a color device */ }
>
> I don't think which way we choose here particularly matters,
> although I agree the spec should be internally consistent.  (The
> reason the 'only' feature was added [1] doesn't apply to queries
> with omitted media types... at least I don't think so.)

The other case would be more interesting: "@media not (color)" as
syntactic sugar for "@media not all and (color)". But I assumed the syntax
section was intentional and that the prose just had remnants from a
previous version when media types were mandatory.

> In Gecko I implemented what the grammar says (i.e., dropping the
> first media query you give above).

Yes, Safari 4 does that too (and so does Opera's current internal
implementation).

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA