[css3-flexbox] New WD "CSS Flexible Box Layout"

On Friday, July 24, 2009, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:

> Although those are primarily for typography rather
> than GUI layout, they overlap with Flexible Box Layout.

I fail to see how template layout module is primarily for typography.
Although useful for type, template layout gives designers an extremely
flexible page layout framework.

> Possibly a single, generalized model can be made, combining the unique features of
> each: source order independence, positioned floats, flexible
> inter-element spaces, grid-dependent length units, etc.

It would seem to me that this has already been done-- with template
layout module. While it may be interesting to see what things from
flexible box layout can be implemented, template layout already
incorporates the most compelling part of grid layout module: the 'gr'
unit.

As designers, we need layout mechanisms which work clearly and well.
The fact that one can code the basis of a complex page design in about
five minutes utilizing template layout (as it is even now in the WD)
is something to consider.

My hope is that the useful aspects of flexible box (which does not
seem to offer an *explicit* complex design grid) can be successfully
combined with template layout module to give designers the layout
control they need.

Regards,
Stephen Hay