Re: [css3-images] New WD "CSS Image Values"

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 7:04 PM, Zack Weinberg<zweinberg@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:
>
>> The CSS WG published the first of a new series of working drafts,
>> called "CSS Image Values Module Level 3":
>>
>>     http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-css3-images-20090723/
>>
>> The module defines the <image> type, i.e., the syntax for properties
>> that refer to images. (Examples of such properties are
>> 'list-style-image' and 'background-image'.) In most (all?) cases, an
>> image is identified by a URL.
>
> I object to <url-token>.  Please instead use:
>
>  <image-decl> = <string> [ snap? && <resolution> ]?
>
> More generally, I do not think any CSS Level >=3 module should make any
> modifications whatsoever to the tokenization rules in CSS 2.1.

Echoing earlier discussion, I agree with Zack.  Using quotes or url()
syntax is far from a hardship, while remembering the escaping rules
necessary to use an unquoted url *is* actually sort of hard (us web
authors have *enough* different sets of escaping rules already).

~TJ