Re: [selectors] [css3-content] The ::inside pseudo-element

2009/1/20 Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>

> Giovanni Campagna wrote:
>
>> Doing some testing, I actually discovered that ::inside is need because
>> yes, ::before does not introduce a new table-cell, but it introduces an
>> inline box. Text-align (and other useful properties, like float) does not
>> apply to inline
>>

> You can use an inline-block if you want text-align, no?  If you float it
> you'll get a block, of course, but I'm still not sure why you need ::inside
> in that case.
>
> -Boris

How would you do that? If you display the ::before with inline-block, it
will not float (only block can float), neither it will text-align unless you
manually widen the inline-block box (but it will align left of the widened
block, not left of the table-cell).

(The use case is the same as the first post, aligning generated content to
the start edge of a table-cell, while putting the dom content aligned on the
right, like in Microsoft Excel "Contability" formatting)

Giovanni