Re: [css3-background] does border-radius round the border-image ?

On Jan 12, 2009, at 6:09 PM, fantasai wrote:

> L. David Baron wrote:
>> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-background/#the-border-radius says:
>>  # Backgrounds, but not the border-image, are clipped to the inner,
>>  # resp., outer curve of the border if ‘background-clip’ is
>>  # ‘padding-box’ resp., ‘border-box’. Other effects that clip to
>>  # the border or padding edge (such as ‘overflow’) also must clip
>>  # to the curve. I can't tell if this is saying:
>> 1. border images are not clipped by the rounding from border-radius
>> 2. border images are always clipped by the outer edge of the curve
>> (It's not clear whether border-image is included or excluded from
>> "Other effects" given that it was excluded from the first part.)
>
> I've removed the "inner, resp., outer ...resp." bit. It was added
> later, presumably as a clarification, but seems to be more confusing
> than anything. The text now reads
>
>  # Backgrounds, but not the border-image, are clipped to the curve.
>  # Other effects that clip to the border or padding edge (such as
>  # 'overflow') also must clip to the curve.
>
> Let me know if this helps.
>
> ~fantasai

I think that is much simpler. But its less specific about _which_
curve, and WebKit is currently clipping to the outside in all cases.
Can we add a little something and still keep it clear, perhaps as
follows?

  # Backgrounds, but not the border-image, are clipped to the curve.
  # Other effects that clip to the border or padding edge (such as
  # 'overflow') also must clip to the curve. The edge of the curve
#   to use for clipping depends on the value of ‘background-clip’
#  (outer edge for 'border-box', inner edge for ‘padding-box’). When
#  the value of ‘background-clip’ is 'content-box', then the content
#  box is clipped with corner radii equal to the 'border-radius'
#  values, minus the padding values, with a floor of zero.

That last part about the content-box is where we would expect to find
the curve in that case, as a logical extension of where the two curves
are in the other two ‘background-clip’ cases.

By the way, neither WebKit or FireFox (Minefield) are currently doing
any clipping of the foreground when 'overfow' is hidden, as this text
says it should. I agree that they should do so, and maybe that just
hasn't yet been implemented but will be.