Re: [css3-background] does border-radius round the border-image ?

On Jan 10, 2009, at 10:15 PM, Brad Kemper wrote:
> I did some test cases and saw how they rendered in a recent WebKit
> nightly and Firefox 3.2 nightly. I used 'background-clip:padding-
> box;', which shows the importance of not clipping the border-image
> based on the border-radius (at least not to do so in that situation,
> IMO, but I believe its the same problem with default background-
> clip, just not as obvious).:
>
> http://www.bradclicks.com/cssplay/BorderImageAndRadius.html

I think there's just a different interpretation of the spec, here. To
me, using background-clip: padding;  would presumably render the
background to content+padding box, clipped only by the external radius
of any possibly-applied border-radius. This is what WebKit does.

What you're expecting, however, seems to be that the background should
be clipped to the inner circle of the border-radius, in this case
severely impeding on the boundaries of the padding box. Or really I
should say, largely not even reaching the boundaries of the padding
box. This is what Firefox does.

I don't think either browser is right or wrong, I think the spec is
inconclusive as to what the behavior should be like. I can see
arguments for both interpretations, but I'm personally inclined to
side with WebKit's implementation simply because the padding of the
box (and the content box itself) don't get their foreground dimensions
curved, i.e. the text is still in a rectangular box, and the padding
around the text is still a rectangular box as well.

Perhaps an expansion to the spec here would be useful, as I can see
reason for both scenarios to co-exist rather than one being dropped in
favor of the other.

Faruk