Re: Hortizontal filler

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 7:42 AM, Giovanni Campagna
<scampa.giovanni@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/1/12 Giuseppe Bilotta <giuseppe.bilotta@gmail.com>
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm going nuts trying to obtain a purely CSS, no tables, no images
>> horizontal filler. A short explanation of my problem: with a
>> particular piece of code, we have the following situation:
>>
>> [outer box [an inner box]               ]
>>
>> where the outer box takes the whole viewport width, and inner box is
>> contained in it, starting right after the actual textual content of
>> the outer box.
>>
>> Now, we would like the outer and inner boxes to be links, which is not
>> allowed by HTML, so we need to turn the layout into something like the
>> following:
>>
>> [[outer box][inner box][filler ]]
>>
>> where the outer box is not really outer anymore. [outer box] and
>> [filler] will be links (linking to what the outer box would link to),
>> so [filler] has to be an actual element, not just empty space.
>>
>> Note that this is not a column layout, as the content of the outer box
>> might be multi-line, giving
>>
>> |[outer box .... with lots of text |
>> |...continued] [inner box][filler ] |
>>
>> so the column layout solutions that one finds through web searches are
>> not adequate. I've repeatedly gone through the CSS specification, but
>> I couldn't come up with a solution for this problem. Any suggestions
>> appreciated.
>
> <a> is not allowed inside an other <a>, but who cares? use XHTML to avoid
> dom rearranging and you will have any tag inside any tag.

[snip]

Actually, this is what we have presently. We serve the pages as
application/xhtml+xml, and we have nested <a> elements. We were
looking for an alternative to be more compliant to the standard and
move the <a> out, while keeping the layout and functionality
essentially the same, but this would really need some kind of
horizontal filler. If OTOH this is not possible, we might really be
fine just keeping things as-is ...

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta