Re: [css3-background] does border-radius round the border-image ?

On Jan 9, 2009, at 4:27 PM, L. David Baron wrote:

> On Friday 2009-01-09 16:20 -0800, Brad Kemper wrote:
>> # Specifies an image to use instead of the borders created by the
>> ‘border-style’, 'border-width',  'border-color', 'border-radius', and
>
> border-width does matter some of the time.

Really? Like what?

>> 'box-shadow' properties and an additional background image for the
>> element. Unless the value is ‘none’ or if the image cannot be
>> displayed,
>> the element will be displayed as if border-style and 'box-shadow' had
>> value of 'none' and 'border-radius' had a value of 0, and only
>> 'border-image' will be used to generate any border, curved corner,
>> or box
>> shadow effects.
>
> If the border-image had the curve built in, wouldn't you want the
> border-radius to continue to apply to the background?

Yeah, logically I suppose so, if it can be seen through the
'additional background image'. What are the circumstances in which an
author would use background-image, border-radius, and border-image
together on the same element (especially given that border-image has a
built-in background image in its middle)? I can see that maybe I would
use border-radius as a fallback for background-image (or vice versa).
In those cases, I would not any of the original border to show when
the border image was showing instead. And the background-image might
have a more complex clipping than the rounded border.