Re: Projection media type in fullscreen browser mode

Op Wed, 19 Aug 2009 17:24:08 +0200 schreef Giuseppe Bilotta
<giuseppe.bilotta@gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Rijk van Geijtenbeek<rijk@opera.com>
> wrote:
>> Op Tue, 18 Aug 2009 22:55:39 +0200 schreef Aryeh Gregor
>> <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>:
>>

>>> (Do older versions of Opera not use screen stylesheets at all in
>>> full-screen mode?  Some of the discussions I've found suggest that.
>>> That would explain how (1) came about in the first place.)
>>
>> Yes. Up until Opera 8.54, going full screen meant losing the 'screen'
>> media styling in Opera. So Opera-conscious developers would have used
>> either no media, or 'all', or 'screen,projection'. Since 9.0, that is
>> not happening anymore, and Opera treats full screen as 'screen' when no
>> 'projection' styles are used.
>
> Would it be possible (and does it make sense) to use both screen and
> projection in this case?

What case?

> (With projection entries taking precedence
> over screen, of course)?

The spec says that media types are mutually exclusive:

"Media types are mutually exclusive in the sense that a user agent can
only support one media type when rendering a document."

I don't think it is feasible to change that. You can use
media="screen,projection" for a stylesheet with general styles, once you
start catering for the projection case. Or just leave it at 'all' or not
specified, for the stylesheet with general styles.

--
                                                      Rijk van Geijtenbeek
                                    Opera Software ASA, Documentation & QA

"The most common way to get usability wrong is to listen to what users
say rather than actually watching what they do." - J.Nielsen