Re: [css3-mediaqueries] Syntax connecting MQ to CSS 2.1

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 17:10:51 +0200, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:
> As an aside (because it's about HTML, not CSS):
>
> If that's what HTML5 will say about them, then that's bad. :-(
>
> Currently they are in error, which I like much better. The most obvious
> reading for media="" is that the link applies to no media at all. And
> thus, if lines like this start appearing in HTML, many people will
> wonder if the author made a mistake. It's better to keep empty values
> illegal.

I think HTML 4 is not clear either way on the matter. Making it
non-conforming but requiring it to be treated as if all was specified
seems fine though. I can probably get that in HTML 5 if we agree that's a
good idea.

> (If HTML changes this, there will be an inconsistency between HTML and
> XML, unless http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-stylesheet is also changed. It
> will be difficult to find out what breaks in that case.)

The XML Core WG is working on updating that document.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/